Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Recent Discovery

How did Tom Petty sneak this one in on me? As I make my way through Mudcrutch's new album, I couldn't be any more excited about it. From the opening notes of the classic cover "Shady Grove" to the twangy Americana country-rock that follows, it's the rock album we've been missing thus far in 2008.


Mudcrutch was originally formed in the early 1970's as a precursor to The Heartbreakers. I've never heard (or heard of) that original material, but I sure do like where they picked up with these new tracks!

It turns out these rascals already toured California over the course of the last month. Read the album review from Rolling Stone and Glide Magazine.

Petty opens the track The Wrong Thing to Do with: "Well my daddy took me campin' out under the stars, left me by the fire while he hit the bars. And I broke my finger on a trailer hitch, mama called daddy a son of a bitch." Now that's the beginning of a story I want to hear!

No comments: