Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tasty!

After many years of neglect, I busted out my growler and took it for a fill-up at Otto's this afternoon. My selection for this evening's Game 1 of the World Series (Go Colorado) is the Mt. Nittany Pale Ale. 64 ounces of fresh-brewed, tasty goodness.
Several interesting coincidences led to my revived interest in craft brewed beer:
  • Late night shuffleboard with Jameson Irish Whiskey caused a 36 hour unpleasantness, thus halting my desire to consume any form of liquor. Luckily, this came after summertime, so I had several months to enjoy Palomas in the sun.
  • Gus blogged about the top 5 ranked beers in 6 different categories. I woke up from my tasteless light beer phase. The lack of Magic Hat's inclusion from the lists led to disgust, and then...
  • My bottle cap from a Fat Angel said "You're a Winner", which I came to find out means I get a free t-shirt! This happened almost 3 years to the day from my trip to Burlington with my wife for our honeymoon. That week we stopped at the Magic Hat Brewery each afternoon to pick up a growler of fresh suds.
  • Pletcher's, our local beer distributor, carries an excellent selection of hoppy ales. I started with Dogfish Head 60 Minute I.P.A., followed by a Stoudt's Variety Pack, and then a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Now my only problem is the 14 crappy Labatt Blue cans and the 2 Bud Lights that are wasting valuable space in my refrigerator. Should I take them out? Should I try to feed them to someone else? Should I just drink the damn things? Another one of life's great dilemmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no boozing for gus, murphy, and me....lame

Gus said...

The lack of Magic Hat on the lists was somewhat baffling for me as well. My suggestion is to save the Labatts and Buds for 2 reasons: 1. You can pawn them off on someone else who doesn't care about good booze. There are few things more frustrating than wasting good beer or liquor on someone who would be just as happy with a Coors Light; 2. Consume them yourself late night. Good, tasty beer is wonderful, but I can't drink that stuff all night. It gives me pretty raunchy gas the next day. At some point during the evening, I always end up switching to Miller Light or something comparable.