Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Yeah well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Joel Selvin wrote an article for the San Francisco Chronicle entitled, "Producers howl over sound cut out by mp3 compression". I do not argue the fact that mp3 is a lossy format. Don't get me wrong, my favorite way to listen to music is on vinyl. Nothing is better than hearing Glenn Miller or The Beatles or Frank Zappa through a record player. But how much music would I miss if that was my only option?
It would be extremely difficult to drag my relatively tiny record collection and player even downstairs. Imagine taking the amount of music that fits on a 30 gig Ipod on vacation without the help of technology and the internet.
I do not pretend to believe that my massive mp3 collection won't be obsolete in the near future. But for right now, it's absolutely fantastic.
I can tell when I have a crappy copy of something. I can also tell when I have a great digital recording. Ideally, I would spend tons of money on the best possible stereo equipment. But since I don't choose to do so, what's really more detrimental to the tunes I hear? Hell, Left of Center on Sirius broadcasts in mono! It's amazing to me that they can't send a stereo signal when they are already operating a satellite in outer space. But what do I know... I won't even admit that my brain isn't triggering emotion from my music in mp3 format.

No comments: