Friday, December 14, 2007

Tasty Beverage of the Week

I've had Bass Pale Ale a handful of times over the years, and I've never been overly impressed. Don't get me wrong - there's lots of history and it's a great example of its style. But Bass is not something I search out.
The reason I have had several bottles of Bass recently is because some (otherwise) great restaurants lack variety and selection when it comes to pale ales. Specifically, Prospector's and The Tavern. Why do they choose to serve Bass? Is it because it's imported and everyone has heard of it? I think I probably answered my own question. This is probably also why it's overpriced.
Regardless, apparently the "red triangle" was England's first registered trademark. The logo has appeared countless times through history in many different contexts.
I can't really recommend Bass based on a unique or interesting flavor. It doesn't impress me a whole lot. Nonetheless, when I go back to those particular establishments, I'll probably order another Bass. If you've never had it, give it a whirl. It's a classic English Pale Ale.
But I think I prefer our American version. The good ol' U.S. of A.

No comments: