Thursday, November 1, 2007

Tasty Beverage of the Week

One of the friendly folks at Pletcher's recommended this fine product to me, and I couldn't have been more impressed. He asked me what I liked, with my response being "hoppy IPA's". I never had any of Weyerbacher's beers before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. This is actually one of their only low ABV beers (and by low I mean 6.2%!).
Weyerbacher is made in Easton, PA - gotta support the Pennsylvania brewers. Hops Infusion is crafted using 7 different kinds of hops.
To quote Beer Advocate's review: "Egats! Hops are imploding over taste buds! Mellow medium body, very smooth on the tongue with a lower level of carbonation. Hops, hops and hops ... they go from juicy fruit and citric rind to herbal and earthy with flowery flavour throughout. Hop oil is sweet and overly expressive, tastes of fresh hop tea. Malt is nearly nonexistent other than the mouth feel, they are pretty much masked by the hop's clout. Some fruit esters punch a small hole into the flavour threshold, a very small hole that is. Bitterness is up there but this is more of a hop flavour ale than an overly bitter ale. Complexity of the hops makes the mind go a tad towards madness. This beer never really has an end and has an everlasting finish, it just keeps lingering with hops.... Well, well, well aren't we the little hop bastard of the bunch, delicate but strong. Hop addicts will get a soothing fix of this one, only ballsy beer drinkers should attempt to drink Hop Infusion."
I've always considered Beer Advocate to be THE authority on beer, and this review is a great one.
Someday soon when I'm feeling brave, I look forward to trying some of Weyerbacher's other strong ales.

No comments: