Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tasty Beverage of the Week

Coming all the way from North County San Diego, this week's feature is Stone IPA.
"Look up "hops" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beer's crisp and refreshing bitter character."
With 3 different kinds of hops and a 6.9%ABV, it is not for those who live in fear. But don't worry, the gargoyle wards off modern day evil spirits such as chemical preservatives, additives, and adjuncts.
The overall score on Beer Advocate is a 91-Outstanding. Todd says: "Simply put ... this is one insane IPA, and not for the weak palate. To compare it to other IPAs would be silly, however I think this sums it up ... Once Stone comes into a new market it's like a challenge to other brewers in the area: "I know my big beers are bigger and better than yours, but let's see yours anyway. I promise not to laugh." Oh ... and this is just their standard IPA doing the speaking."
I must admit, I don't enjoy the Stone IPA as much as some of the other recent discoveries. The helpful beer guy at Pletcher's compared it to the Two Hearted Ale, and said it was extremely similar. To me, they taste very different, and this one doesn't stand up. It's not as hoppy as the Hops Infusion, or as strong as the Two Hearted. It is quite popular - every time I go to the distributor the Stone section is empty. Maybe I'm goofy, but the search continues...

No comments: