Thursday, November 29, 2007

Tasty Beverage of the Week

It had probably been 5 years since I drank Sierra Nevada's winter seasonal offering. Hi Way Pizza had it on tap when I conveniently lived right across the street. We always seemed to have one or two pitchers too many. Back then I thought it was quite strong, both in flavor and alcohol.
"Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale represents a time honored tradition of brewing a special beer for the holiday season. There are generous portions of barley malts and fine whole hops of several varieties, creating a brew with a full, rich and hearty character."
Celebration Ale is the perfect brew to warm up with after coming in from the windy cold of early winter. There's not yet enough snow to snuggle up with a Murphy's Irish Stout, and the blood oranges are not yet in season to add to a Blue Moon. I've been eyeing up the Celebration Ale for a few weeks now, but I knew it had to wait until after Turkey Day. (Which reminds me - the Beaujolais Nouveau was extremely disappointing with the big feast. I didn't even finish one glass. And I usually tend to drink wine like it's my job once I get started.) Thanksgiving was barely over, so I knew it was time to pick up a case.
Todd, the Beer Advocate, says: "Dreamy. So smooth. So rich. So fortified with malt goodness. So hoppy. At first there's a creamy feel on the palate, that then opens up to toasty, sweet malt flavours. A bold herbal hop runs rampid on the palate with a semi-prickly, puckering, lemon-rind quality. After a few more mouthfulls the brew begins to warm the body, and you can really feel the alcohol kick in. Finishes a bit dry with grain/husk flavours, and some breadiness as it warms... At 6.8% this is one hell of a Winter seasonal! Warms the body and soul. A brew for hop heads too. One of the best Winter Seasonals that I have ever had, and one of the best Strong Ales. Drink with caution as this brew will kick your ass."
Although I would agree to the claim that it is "perfect for a festive gathering or for a quiet evening at home", I wouldn't go so far as to agree with the San Fransisco Chronicle writer who calls it the "best beer ever made in America".

1 comment:

Gus said...

FYI - Stay away from the Blue Moon Winter Ale... very disappointing. It takes like Blue Moon Light.